TallyHo (Taleggio) recipe

Here's a recipe to make my version of Taleggio, or, as I call it, Tallyho. This is a washed rind cheese, therefore, it gives off a strong aroma, (see my washed rind article) however, the taste is something special.


10 litres of pasteurised cows' milk

¼ to ½ teaspoon of Mesophilic starter

¼ teaspoon of Brevibacterium linen (B linen)

¼ teaspoon of Calcium Chloride diluted in a ¼ cup of cooled boiled water

10 drops of liquid rennet diluted in a ¼ cup of cooled boiled water

Cheese Salt to dress the cheese with


In your usual cheesemaking stainless steel pan (10 litres) slowly warm the milk (over about 20 to 30 minutes) to 85°F or 30°C, then turn off the heat.

Sprinkle the starter and B Linens over the top of the milk and using a slotted spoon or whisk, mix the two powders into the milk.

Cover the pan and maintain the temperature of the milk for about 30 minutes to allow the milk to mature or ripen (fig 1).

Add the Calcium Chloride and mix in, then the rennet, which should also be well mixed in.

Leave to stand until a clean break is achievable (fig 2), at which point dice the curds into ½ inch or 15mm pieces and leave to stand for 15 or 20 minutes.





Unless you have a proper Taleggio mould which is square, you need to then ladle the curd into the moulds you have chosen to use. This could be a couple of 5 inch moulds, or in my case I have an 8 x 4 inch mould (20 x 10 cm) which I use for a lot of different cheeses (fig 3). Once drained, the mould I use will give me 3 kilos of young Taleggio; this of course reduces as the cheese matures.

I don't need to use a cloth with the mould I use, however you may need to, dependant on the mould used. If you are using a 'basket' style mould you will definitely need to use a cloth.

I put my curds into the mould, stand the mould on a rack and leave it to drain for about 2 hours.  I have a cheese mat and board large enough to cover the top of the mould so after the 2 hours I just place the cheese mat and board on top, flip the mould and leave it on the rack to stand for a further two hours, I flip the cheese back again for an hour, then back again and leave it to stand for 12 hours.

Alternatively, if you are using a mould with a cloth, then let it drain on a draining rack for 45 to 60 minutes, fold over the tails of the cloth and flip the cheese, let it drain for 30 minutes then flip it back again, put in a follower and press at 5 lbs for 12 hours.

Remove the cheese from the mould, take it out of the cloth and sprinkle a teaspoon of salt top and bottom (fig 4).

Place the cheese in a ripening box and age at 90% humidity 55°F (12°C) turning every day (fig 5).

After a week make up a brine wash (see washed cheese article for percentages), dip a small square of cheese cloth in the brine and wipe the cheese with this, removing any mould that may have formed (fig 6). Also drain and dry the ripening box each time you flip the cheese.

Fig4 Fig5 Fig6


After two weeks or so, the B Linens will start to form a soft skin on the outside, it will be light orange or yellow, at this time, the cheese will also start to take on the characteristic aroma. After 4 to 6 weeks the cheese will have formed a sticky orange skin (fig 7 & 8). Wrap it in cheese wrap at this time and place in the fridge; it will be ready to eat after a further two to three weeks (Fig 9).

Fig7 Fig8 Fig9